Fiber of Another Kind

Most of you know that I've been trying my hand at knitting for the last few years.  It's so relaxing to pick up my knitting at the end of the day and feel the soft fiber gently gliding through my fingers.  My current project is a shawl that is made with Flicker by Berroco.  It's a deep gray with a flicker of silver.  Everyone asks me 'what are you going to do with it?'  It seems that is always the question when a non-knitter sees me knitting.  True knitters understand that it's not about the finished product, it's about the journey, it's about working with some of the most glorious fibers on earth.  The Flicker that I'm working with right now is mostly Baby Alpaca.  Can't you just imagine how soft that is?

Today you'll have to put up with my ramblings as I share more of my favorite things.  These are some of the projects that I've completed over the last few months.


The photograph doesn't give you a very good introduction to this shawlette, the lace pattern is really beautiful.  It was a free pattern called 28's Big Sister 77, and the yarn was purchased at last fall's Michigan Fiber Festival in Allegan.  I didn't buy much that day, but when I came upon this particular vendor, Creatively Dyed Yarn, I fell in love with much of what she had.  This was sock yarn, and the colors were beautiful.  I knew I had to do something with it besides socks.  If you love this yarn, you can see more at:  creativelydyed.net  The owner, Dianne Lutz lives in Greer, SC and hopefully will be back to join us at Michigan Fiber Festival 2012 in August. 



You're probably wondering what in the world this is.  I took a picture of it on my head but with shorter hair I looked like a dork (my daughter's endearing word).  When I made this my hair was long and the ends of this knit hat tucked under my hair in the back and buttoned.  It's really a great hat for long hair that's pulled back.  Really cute, but again, it was really just all about the journey.




I have no doubt you're looking at this and wondering 'what was she thinking?'.  This is a cowl that fits snugly down over the shoulders.  Have I ever worn it?  Well, no.  This project was definitely all about the journey and seeing this stripe pattern play out.  I actually made this over a year ago, maybe someday when I'm in the nursing home I'll proudly wear it and remember . . . . .

I hope you're not too disappointed that I'm not posting a paper crafting project today, but my life is filled with so many favorite things that I just love to share them all.  So, until tomorrow, happy crafting, with whatever fiber you choose!

Comments