Bleaching Brought Back

Probably ten years ago I used the bleaching technique in one of my classes.  I wasn't thinking too clearly as I pulled out some of my pricey sable brushes to apply the bleach to our project.  Now, I absolutely knew the power of bleach, especially straight out of the bottle.  I watched it totally devour a pair of white shoe strings from the shoes of my son when he was only a few months old.  I'd decided that soaking them in bleach would surely whiten them quickly. There wasn't much left of them!  But it seems I didn't learn my lesson.  So, at the end of the class, I'm cleaning up.  As I start cleaning up the bleaching station I notice that the last person using the bleach had left my pricey sable brush in the liquid.  Pulling the brush out of the bleach I was shocked (not really) to see that there was only stubble left on the end of the handle.  Well, I decided that I would never use bleach again.  And I didn't, for all these years.

But as with all things, we like to revisit old memories, remember our lessons and move on. Today's project used bleach, diluted about 50%.  And the brushes?  Well, they were inexpensive and I wouldn't have cried if they were ruined.  I was very clear though about not leaving the brush in the bleach mixture. 
 I think that this was every one's favorite project of the day.

The flowers are from Everything Eleanor, what a versatile stamp set. They are so lovely here.



It's interesting to see the different shades you get when you touch bleach to the various colors of cardstock.  This is bleach on Basic Gray.  The flower color, after the bleach, is sort of a Sahara Sand.  Karen Barber has done some wonderful things with bleach, I followed her lead on this one, using the gray.   



After bleaching I touched the white gel pen onto the stamens of the flower.  Up close here, I can see I missed one!  The 'friend' comes from the Fabulous Phrases Stamp Set, and was punched out using the small oval.

And of coarse, the Big Shot was used to add interest to this card, we used the Square Lattice Folder and the Scallop Square Bigz.


I hope that you enjoyed today's project, it was very fun to do, and looks oh, so elegant!

Thanks for stopping by! 





Comments